Dear Peter,

You are not alone in this. Almost every critic even before and during
the religious phrase has had to deal with Eliot's antipathy to sex and
human love.

It is one of the ironies of his life that his only adult happiness did,
in fact, come from that when he finally found it in his 60s with
Valerie. And it produced only one poem, a pretty awful one. He never
wrote a love poem except that. But the early poetry is full of loathing
of women (for a much more hateful version, see the representation of
Fresca in the Facsimile, which Pound had the sense to cut with a fairly
harsh dismissal. Fresca is called "a doorstep dunged by every dog in
town"--very loving. Interestingly, though, there is a kind of sympathy
for the sorrows of women in the treatment of the typist and the Thames
daughters--or perhaps not, depending on how one reads it. But Eliot did
add and then remove allusions to Dido, a story that always seemed to
haunt him--even in 1944. It is a very complicated topic, clearly. But it
is not about a man loving a woman except generally in images of guilt,
like that of Aeneas in the underworld.

Also there is nothing of love in "La Figlia che Piange" unless one
counts the sorrow of the young girl, whom the narrator contemplates
abandoning and considers in terms of its aesthetic interest. And
ironically the passage on the rose garden was written in a description
of his trip to Burnt Norton with Emily Hale. He did imagine he loved her
for some time but came to feel he could not, but that poem is not about
loving her. It is about what did not happen. None of the passages below
is about love except the last, and that is divine love, not human love
except as it is in Dante's heaven.

4Q is also, of course, written during and is partly about War. In this
case WWII when Eliot was a fire watcher. And his allusions in "Little
Gidding" to the "king at nightfall" are about England's civil war that
ended in the beheading of Charles I. Charles spent his last safe night
at "Little Gidding."
Nancy

>>> Peter Dillane 08/09/13 8:56 PM >>>
Hey CR,
I don't see Eliot's poetry as a treatise on love.

Of course love - in human affairs and in theological affairs - is turned
over a great lot by Eliot but it is subordinate to a controlling
intellect with other wholly inward looking concerns.

For example I suggest that the moment of gentle personal address : "Your
heart would have responded gaily"
is changed utterly by "when invited, beating obedient to controlling
hands"

I own to a blind spot with respect to the theologically driven melding
of fire and love in the crowned knot of fire but I remain unconvinced
that the faithful really can sort out Luke's Jesus with his fire he
wishes were already burning.

I will only start a shitfight about the status of the artist's life in
discussion of works if I mention Emily Hale but let me try an
observation from the text that his representation of Celia Coplestone's
death which he self censored ( the painting with ant bait idea )
suggests a remoteness from the dynamic of affection that I would respect
more if he demanded the lines stayed in the play.

Cheers Pete