From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Wednesday, 21 August 2013 5:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TWL as ground.

Dear Pete,

My research and commentary is all based in what was then clinical
definition--especially by Janet because his work was very important in
Boston and explains Eliot's images far better than others. But the study of
"hysteria" was a major project during and just after WW1, and for Janet it
was always a form of dissociation. Vittoz's book was a kind of watered down
Janet, and Eliot specifically went to him rather than to a psychoanalyst. So
I am not trying to offer a diagnosis, only what was then thought about
dissociation and what was a major topic in Harvard when Eliot was a graduate
student in the department that William James was in. And James was
influenced by Janet, whom he invited to Harvard in 1906. I don't think one
can apply ideas of psychiatry now to any of it with any specificity, but
Janet, Freud, and Babinski, by 1910  and after, were all very specific in
what they considered it meant, and Eliot knew the first two at least.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Peter Dillane 08/20/13 2:05 AM >>>

Thanks Nancy and Peter,

I am not sure how much it helps me in a reading of  the poem, but I will
think about it a bit. As a diagnosis it suffers from the taxonomy
difficulties of psychiatry  which is at about the level of specificity of
internal medicine in the early 20 th century. ( and which DSM - now V, how
many Rocky movies were there?-  does not help you with much)

Cheers Pete