[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
On 14 August 2013 15:01, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I also like the idea that I know little or nothing of the poet's life.  I know others on this list disagree with me and I understand how a study of the life illuminates  --  I freely admit Ellman (sp?) put Ulysses in context far better than Gilbert  --  but in terms of public outreach I believe the first test is lyric quality.

       Not to contest that last, but it could perhaps also be said, in regard to public (anyone not the poet) outreach, that the poetry communicates before it is understood. Certainly Eliot's entire oeuvre could be said to stand on that phenomenon.

      Ken A