Apprehension of a subjective reality in terms of objective images.

That's the mantra, maybe.

CR

From: Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: TWL as ground.
Sent: Wed, Aug 21, 2013 11:22:51 AM

P> Those are ancillary elements which reinforce Phoenecia but they don't say why.

Peter:

I want to highly recommend an essay on Eliot's "Dans le Restaurant" (which contains Eliot's first reference to Phlebas the Phoenician). The essay, written by the late Professor William Arrowsmith, is "Daedal Harmonies: A Dialogue on Eliot and the Classics," Southern Review 13 (1977) 1-47.

In that essay, Arrowsmith postulates several ideas about why Phlebas is Phoenician. Arrowsmith's main idea is that Eliot is taking us back as far as written literature can go. As noted in Wikipedia "The Phoenicians were the first state-level society to make extensive use of the alphabet. The Phoenician phonetic alphabet is generally believed to be the ancestor of almost all modern alphabets." Arrowsmith views the Phoenician reference as similar to the reference to Mylae, an ancient war, bringing up the idea that "this has all happened before; this is the human condition."

-- Tom --