My personal take for what it might be worth on East Coker: once a village,
it's now virtually a suburb of nearby Yeovil - there are any amount of
far more typical and more rural Wessex villages around and as such it is
unremarkable. However, Eliot's treatment of the specific place can't be
ignored, and, like the Adelstrop railway station (or Carnforth rail station
clock) it cries out for preservation for the sake of our national heritage.
The plans to subsume it all further into Yeovil are therefore crass.

Eliot embodied East Coker masterfully and concisely with the very spirit of
Wessex, so at length depicted by Thos Hardy, and in a sense the place is
symbolic of that greater, rural, Wessex as opposed to much else on its own,
save that we wouldn't be wanting to develop Dove Cottage into holiday lets
and a great big parking lot, would we??

Finally, and controversially, I'd observe that Hardy understood Wessex and
so did Eliot but it's (culturally) a closed book to many American
commentators, perhaps because they lack the necessary collective
consciousness of a native.

-controversial stuff, maybe, but I do tend to believe in it.