Hi everyone.

Just a follow up on the 4th of July birding outing at White River Trace.

We found both Scissor tail flycatchers and Blue Grosbeaks gathering food and flying back to the nest site.

MDC has opened up the woodlands on both ends of the trace and the Yellow billed Cuckoos and Red Headed Woodpeckers are calling and nesting in good numbers. I love responsible habitat restoration.

Talking about habitat restoration our nature center in Rolla that took us years to cut and burn all the cedar before we had our first controlled burn in April of this year has come back with a bumper crop of native grasses, forb and wildflowers, it is healthy and beautiful. Also two of our target species is back on the prairie, Field Sparrow and Common Yellowthroat both in good numbers. The other three indicator species are Henslow Sparrow, Dickcissel and Bob White Quail. We have also seen and heard Red Headed Woodpeckers up in the newly reclaimed savanna but no permanent residents as of now. As members of ASM you should take pride in this because it was a matching grant from ASM that made this possible.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO

Pablo Neruda.