MOBirders-
This post is probably not of much interest to non-Boone Co. area birders...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we began irrigating the corn with water from South Farm R-1 Lake last week. The lake started out quite a bit higher this year than in years past, but as long as there is no rain in the forecast, water will be drawn daily from now until mid-to-late August. It has noticeably dropped in the past week, even though it probably doesn't look like it to someone who hasn't been out there in awhile. There will be more vegetation than normal on the north end, but I'm expecting the water should be low enough for shorebird mudflats in about a month (maybe sooner if we get no rain). So far, I've only encountered Killdeer (lots), a few Spotted Sandpipers, and an Upland Sandpiper (off and on...not in the past couple weeks).

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow