P> If we go back over the past  decadeP>  and think about how many actually contributed P> how much larger would the list of contributors than the 17 you list be?
Great question.
I went back to the TSE archives and did the same statistics for Jan 1- July 31, 2001.
Here are the results:

  Total number of
  posters in 2001
  83

  (Jan 1 - July 31, 2001)

  Poster
  # posts
   % of total

  A Robin
  1
  0

  Adreienne O'Toole
  13
  1

  Amanda Couch
  3
  0

  Anard Iyer
  5
  0

  Andy Stang
  15
  1

  Antonio Mengs
  3
  0

  Arwin van Arum
  81
  4

  Berit Vilu
  5
  0

  Beth Roberts
  1
  0

  Beth Scott
  1
  0

  Brenda Haak
  5
  0

  Brooke Stant
  3
  0

  Carrie Mitchell
  1
  0

  Charles McElwain
  2
  0

  Christopher Tidwell
  1
  0

  Daniel Rogers
  2
  0

  David Boyd
  4
  0

  David Evens
  3
  0

  David Francis Smith
  1
  0

  David Hickman
  1
  0

  Dennis
  3
  0

  E Soraparu
  1
  0

  Eugene Schlanger
  2
  0

  Federica Melusina
  2
  0

  G P Randel
  2
  0

  Gopika Jadeja
  22
  1

  Gunnar Jauch
  86
  4

  Guy Story Brown
  1
  0

  Heidi Stew
  1
  0

  J Blessinger
  17
  1

  James Loucks
  12
  1

  James Morris
  1
  0

  Janice Ho Chiew Ling
  2
  0

  Jennifer Caudle
  6
  0

  Jennifer Formichells
  49
  2

  Jeremy Keillor
  1
  0

  Jeremy Young
  1
  0

  Jill Weber
  8
  1

  Jon Rouse
  7
  1

  Jonathan Crowther
  2
  0

  Jose Pereira
  5
  0

  JP Earls
  31
  2

  Kate Thorn
  1
  0

  Kate Troy
  72
  3

  Ken Arnstrong
  53
  2

  Kevein Hawken
  1
  0

  Lauren Kracht
  2
  0

  Lee Fjord
  10
  1

  Maire McQueeney
  4
  0

  Marcia Karp
  155
  7

  Mark Hills
  1
  0

  Matthew Tanner
  1
  0

  Michael Henry
  4
  0

  Michael Ninodeluz
  10
  1

  Michelotto
  8
  1

  Mitch Major
  1
  0

  Nancy Gish
  161
  7

  Nikolay Nikiforov
  1
  0

  Pat
  Sloane
  343
  16

  Patricia Ward
  2
  0

  Paul S Di Blasi
  1
  0

  Peter Dillane
  5
  0

  R D Abellon
  1
  0

  Raphael Ingelbien
  35
  2

  Richard Badenhausen
  1
  0

  Richard Seddon
  167
  8

  Rick Parker
  402
  18

  Robert Meyer
  69
  3

  Roger Kojecky
  2
  0

  Sam Catanzaro
  3
  0

  Sascha Grimm
  3
  0

  Sean Winkel
  3
  0

  Sobdo Chakrbarti
  2
  0

  Steve Marsden
  2
  0

  Steve Morse
  7
  0

  Steve Pollack
  108
  5

  Tabitha Arnessen
  1
  0

  Thomas Stratten
  11
  1

  Tim Madrigal
  1
  0

  Tom Gray
  28
  1

  Tom K
  83
  4

  Trom Harm
  13
  1

  Venus Freeman
  1
  0

  Total posts in 2001
  2192
  100%

  (Jan 1 - July 31, 2001)

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:23:32 +1000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The TSE list and "critical mass"
To: [log in to unmask]

Yes Tom, I could see you were on a different matter before I posted but I was wondering whether the number of listers is in fact real and I do think the matter you raise is important.
If we go back over the past  decade and think about how many actually contributed how much larger would the list of contributors than the 17 you list be? I think I can do a fair representation off the top of my head Arwin, Pat, Umberto, Guy, Rick, Marcia, Diana, Kate, Cassandra …. who else. I wonder how many of the 200 or 250 are dead letter drops. A friend who manages the mail for the University of Melbourne has a fair bit of conflict with people who have over 10,000 unread mails in their letterboxes but won't delete any. That's one point.
The other is I wonder if there is a critical mass in the terms you suggest.
I won't name names but it is clear that there are a few among us who produce very rewarding mails. I don't mean they are the only serious or intelligent observations but I mean structured, scholarly and demonstrating a large commitment to the individual mail.  I would not include myself. Which is not posturing just a fact. I do not have a job which allows me to follow a discussion reliably so I keep quiet unless I have some small useful thing to offer….. mostly. But,,, every now and then something is just too much fun not to jump in. But I would not see a whole lot more people like me as a profitable addition.

Still I am sure you are right that not being visible is a problem. But then there are other problems. If there are 183 people watching this with ne'er a peep - well I would say there is a habitat problem which will remain even with more creatures in the jungle.

Cheers Pete