From: Poets.org <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Poem-A-Day: Virgil's Hand by Francesc Parcerisas
Sent: Mon, Jul 22, 2013 10:38:56 AM

From this day forward,
the ramparts,
the enemy, the war itself,
are trumped-up shadows
of a fire that's merely
light and ash;
we'll realize: purgatory
and paradise are located
within us.

Copyright © 2013 by Cyrus Cassells. Used with permission of the translator.
About This Poem
"One of Parcersias's most famous poems, this is a terse, spirited, amusing celebration of the moment when we leave our well-meaning parents and trusted guides behind in favor of our own epiphanies. The classical allusions in Parcerisas's affable poems are never merely ornamental: They're signature gestures of his abiding sense of a timeless Mediterranean world where contemporary and ancient life are magically fused.

--Cyrus Cassells
Forthcoming by Parcerisas and Cassells

Still Life With Children
(Tupelo Press)

July 22, 2013
Francesc Parcerisas (left) is the author of fifteen volumes of poetry. Born in 1944, he is one of Catalan Spain's most celebrated contemporary poets. Cyrus Cassells (rightis the author of numerous books of poetry including, The Crossed-Out Swastika (Copper Canyon Press, 2012). His translation of Parcerisas, Still Life With Children, is forthcoming from Tupelo Press.
Related Poems
by Lucille Clifton
by Susan Wood
by Peter Meinke
Poem-A-Day
Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-A-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on
weekdays and classic poems
on weekends. Browse the

Thanks for being a part of the Academy of American Poets community. To learn about other programs, including National Poetry Month, Poem in Your Pocket Day, the annual Poets Forum, and more, visit Poets.org.

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
Academy of American Poets | 75 Maiden Lane | Suite 901 | New York | NY | 10038