Dear David,

I don't see what is difficult about it, especially if one has read anything of the Reformation. And, as I noted, David Jones, who knew Eliot, did join the Catholic Church; it was very clearly not the Church of England, however "high" or "low."
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> David Boyd 07/05/13 6:56 PM >>>

One of Eliot's good friends and spiritual mentors was Bro George Every,SSM, an Anglican monk.

George actually in later life jumped ship into Roman Catholicism, but that wasn't probably a very big leap for him, although for Eliot, a far more secular and social personage, that would have been almost unthinkable, especially, one suspects, as denial of the established order / the Established Church of England. I suspect that the concept of the latter is quite hard for the non-English to comprehend: John Betjeman embraced it all most eloquently and faithfully.