Being a good soldier, when the General says "bird !", I say "how high?" or something of the sort.  In any case, I took Edge's advice and went out to Trail of Tears this afternoon.  The gnats limited my birding quite a bit -- I wound up mostly birding by ear from the car, or walking briskly without stopping to use the binocs.  Nevertheless, as predicted, I saw both a Mississippi Kite and a couple of Black Vultures -- Edge apparently called them to the park.  Edge, how about suggesting that there might be Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers at Seventy-Six Conservation Area?  I promise to go look.

-Allen Gathman
Pocahontas, Cape Girardeau County, MO