A biggest factor effecting the number of waxwings in our area in summer is their nesting range. Waxwings are common here in winter and part of spring but by the end of May most have moved north to nest in Iowa, Minnesota and Canada. Very few waxwings stay to nest in the St. Louis area. I have done extensive studies in the midwest of nesting species. In about 30 years I have only found one waxwing nest and that was at the Shaw Nature Reserve in Gray Summit. In Minnesota I have found dozens of waxwing nests as they are almost as common as finding robin nests. So if you don't see waxwings around here in June, July, August , don't be surprised. I even found a Cedar Waxwing on a nest in Iowa sitting on eggs on Labor Day weekend in September one year. They are a late nester in Iowa and begin nesting about the same time as Goldfinches.
I hope this info is helpful,
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County