A biggest factor effecting the number of waxwings in our area in summer is
their nesting range. Waxwings are common here in winter and part of spring
but by the end of May most have moved north to nest in Iowa, Minnesota and
Canada. Very few waxwings stay to nest in the St. Louis area. I have done
extensive studies in the midwest of nesting species. In about 30 years I
have only found one waxwing nest and that was at the Shaw Nature Reserve in
Gray Summit. In Minnesota I have found dozens of waxwing nests as they are
almost as common as finding robin nests. So if you don't see waxwings
around here in June, July, August , don't be surprised. I even found a
Cedar Waxwing on a nest in Iowa sitting on eggs on Labor Day weekend in
September one year. They are a late nester in Iowa and begin nesting about
the same time as Goldfinches.
I hope this info is helpful,
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
D. Pierce
Senior Dogs 4 Seniors

 “To the world you are just one person; to a rescued pet you are the
WORLD.”