IV Annual Languages Graduate Student Association Conference

University of Connecticut

CALL FOR PAPERS

Recalling the past: A trip down memory lane

Date: November 15, 2013

Venue: Wilbur Cross Building, 233 Glenbrook Road, Storrs CT

This year’s LANGSA conference aims to investigate practices of interpreting, reconciling and representing the past in a variety of fields and genres. Memory studies has grown over the past decade as scholars reach toward an understanding of the way memory, recollection, and verbal and written testimony affect both individual and collective histories. In doing so, memory also affects the construction of language, communities, societies and cultures. This conference allows junior scholars the opportunity to enter into the discourse on current and traditional perspectives on memory that enrich our fields of research and foster cooperation among disciplines. In this way, we might attempt to understand where we come from and invite the past into conversation with our present and our future.

Relevant themes and topics may include but are not limited to:

We welcome submissions of individual papers and proposals for panels of 3 - 4 papers in English. Individual papers will be limited to a reading time of 20 minutes (8 - 10 pages), and panels will be limited to one hour. Abstracts should follow the MLA style and be between 100-200 words; they must include a cover letter indicating the title, author’s name, affiliation, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a short biography. Please send abstracts to langsa[log in to unmask] by September 16th 2013.

--
Nicole White
University of Connecticut