*Date: *November 15, 2013

*Venue: *Wilbur Cross Building, 233 Glenbrook Road, Storrs CT

This year’s LANGSA conference aims to investigate practices of
interpreting, reconciling and representing the past in a variety of fields
and genres. Memory studies has grown over the past decade as scholars reach
toward an understanding of the way memory, recollection, and verbal and
written testimony affect both individual and collective histories. In doing
so, memory also affects the construction of language, communities,
societies and cultures. This conference allows junior scholars the
opportunity to enter into the discourse on current and traditional
perspectives on memory that enrich our fields of research and foster
cooperation among disciplines. In this way, we might attempt to understand
where we come from and invite the past into conversation with our present
and our future.

Relevant themes and topics may include but are not limited to:

   - Violence and memory
   - Ideologies, politics and memory
   - Testimony and human rights
   - Iconography, aesthetics and artistic expression of memory and ideas
   - Regional studies – migration, culture, space and memory
   - Trauma and memory
   - Philosophical theories of memory
   - Identity studies and/or identity politics
   - Gender studies and collective/individual histories
   - Sociolinguistic approaches of memory
   - History, historiography, autobiography and biography
   - Individual and collective identity throughout past, present and future
   - Teaching the past
   - Consciousness and psychology
   - Neurological understandings of memory
   - The Holocaust and memory
   - Spaces as artifacts of memory: museums, archives, ruins
   - Performance and representation of memory and/or the past

We welcome submissions of individual papers and proposals for panels of 3 -
4 papers in English. Individual papers will be limited to a reading time of
20 minutes (8 - 10 pages), and panels will be limited to one hour.
Abstracts should follow the MLA style and be between 100-200 words; they
must include a cover letter indicating the title, author’s name,
affiliation, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a short
biography. Please send abstracts to *[log in to unmask]* by September
16th 2013.

--
Nicole White
University of Connecticut