Hello Birders,

EVENT: This coming Saturday's birding trip to Shaw Nature Reserve (SNR), sponsored by the St. Louis Audubon Society, is open to all--members and non-members alike. Since SNR is owned by the Missouri Botanical Garden (MBG) a fee of $5.00 is required for non-members of MBG or $3.00, if a senior. We'll meet at the entrance/visitor center at 7:30am. The trip will be held regardless of the weather.

BIRDS:  SNR offers the best opportunity in the St. Louis area to observe nearly all of the species characteristic of the Ozarks, including river-bottom birds. We'll especially work at seeing Henslow's Sparrow and the nesting warblers, such as Blue-winged, Prairie, Cerulean, Protonotary and Louisiana Waterthrush. Both Summer and Scarlet Tanagers nest at SNR.

CONDITIONS:  This trip is billed as an all day hike; therefore, we'll walk from the Bascom House all the way to the Meramac River and back. Since we can never be sure where we'll be at noon, please pack a snack and water. There are new restroom facilities at the Bascom House; however, the Vistor Center does not usually open on Saturdays until 9:00am. There are also restroom facilities at the Trail House. Water is available at the Trail House.

DIRECTIONS:  SNR is located approximately 23 miles from the I-44/I-270 junction. Take I-44 west to the Gray Summit exit. Turn left across the overpass, then immediately right. The entrance is just ahead on the left.

DESCRIPTION:  SNR is a 2,400 acre nature study area managed by MBG, which purchased five adjoining farms in the 1940s with the purpose of moving MBG. Smog from coal furnaces blocked out the sun and many of the plants at MBG were dying. Before the move could be made, gas furnaces were introduced in St. Louis and the smog discontinued. Removal of Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginia) has allowed many native wildflowers to return to the glades. The Whitmire Garden, comprised mostly of native plants, is only one of the many reasons to make the trip to SNR this Saturday.

LEADER:  Connie Alwood. Please call me at (314) 600-4126, if you have any questions. I hope to see you all.

Connie Alwood
Ferguson, MO