St. Louis Audubon hosted a birding trip to Tower Grove Park Saturday morning, 5/11; but, unfortunately, most of the warblers seem to have been at Forest Park.  We did start the morning off well with close looks at both Bay-breasted and Chestnut-sided Warblers at the entrance to the Gaddy Bird Garden.  During the morning we also had Magnolia Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped, many male & female Am. Redstarts, heard a Yellow-throated, Ovenbird, Blackpoll, Nashville & Tennessee.

There were some highlights of the morning.  Our visitor from Detroit found a sleeping Common Nighthawk, Mick Richardson showed us the two adult Great Horned Owls, Bernie Favara found a Red-breasted Nuthatch near the Jack Von B. Pond, and there was an Eurasian Collared Dove near Cypress Circle.  Many Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were seen as were a few Eastern Bluebirds.  Two Red-shouldered Hawks were vocalizing in the air above us, and the Great-crested Flycatchers were easy to see and hear.

The large crowd of new and experienced birders enjoyed the beautiful morning and the birds we did see.  Hopefully the area around the bubbler will improve in the next few weeks.

Our next trip will be to Shaw Nature Reserve Saturday, May 18.  Please watch for the trip announcement next week.

Pat Lueders, Trip Leader