As I was driving out of Eagle Bluffs, Edge Wade came zooming in  --- and I though “hmm, I better check emails”  --- which caused me to turn around and join the crowd watching shorebirds in the distribution channel.  Large storm clouds were on the western horizon, some speculation that birds were coming down to avoid the storm.

In the distribution channel, in the section just downstream from the cross levee (next pool downstream from the junction box) – large numbers of shorebirds were on the far shore, mostly in marsh/corn stubble.  One Hudsonian Godwit in with an estimated 50 Willets (yes, more willets than I have ever seen in one location); several Black-bellied Plovers; lots of Wilson’s Phalaropes; mixture of peeps, pecs, dowitchers.  Willets were in constant conversation. There was a flyover of 10 White-faced Ibis, 20 Black Terns, a Snowy Egret and a Little Blue Heron.

In the distribution channel before the junction house, Pectoral and Stilt Sandpipers plus yellowlegs and semi-palmated plovers remained.   In pool 10 along the one-way loop, again lots of shorebirds in the marsh stubble -  at least 100 Wilson’s Phalaropes – peeps, yellowlegs.  I think I heard the peregrine did a flyover.  Also heard that there were many warblers in the willows of pool 13.

Two Great Horned Owls were calling softly across the channel as darkness fell.

Jean Leonatti

Boone County

Columbia,  MO