Mark Robbins, John Bollin, and I birded Roaring River State Park and surroundings on 8 and 9 May.

31 species of warblers were observed, including Swainson's.  The highlight of the trip was the 'Sugar Camp Scenic Road' - an 8 mile long paved jewel along a ridge in Mark Twain National Forest.  Today we drove the road and censused everything we saw/heard during frequent stops.  The complete list will be posted to eBird.

Highlights:

All 3 cuckoo species including 5 Greater Roadrunners
172 Red-eyed Vireos
108 Swainson's Thrush
23 Ovenbirds
31 Black and White Warblers
233 Tennessee Warblers
17 Hooded Warblers
29 Blackpoll Warblers
6 Blackburnian Warblers
7 Chestnut-sided Warblers
6 Black-throated Green Warblers
31 Summer Tanager
9 Scarlet Tanager

10 or so Pine Siskins mingled with American Goldfinch in the campgrounds in Roaring Rivers SP, as was a somewhat late Swamp Sparrow.

Chris Hobbs
Lenexa KS

Sent by Chris Hobbs via iPhone