Yesterday  I took a personal day and went turkey hunting.  It was a very needed day out in the woods but no turkey for the dinner table….  I had a big tom about 55 yards away but didn’t come in the rest of the way.  At one set up at the point on a finger of trees I had a half dozen or more Bobolink’s singing their hearts out directly above my head…way cool!!  A little while later a Northern Harrier flew over and I glassed her she looked at my decoy and then swooped down further on at the crest of the hill and a gobbler reacted l that I didn’t realize was there!

Being concealed (total camouflage) for long hours in the timber is a different type of birding that gives so many close encounters.  Here are a few other species I saw during the day:

Sharp-shinned hawk

Barred Owl

N. Oriole

Orchard Oriole

E. Towhee

Brown Thrasher

White-crowned Sparrow

Grasshopper Sparrow

Dickcissel

Yellow throated Vireo

N. Parula

Blue-winged Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Swainson’s Thrush

American Crow attacking Red-tailed Hawk in flight

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Blue Grosbeak

and several others….

It was a great day to be out and away from all the craziness of life and the world today!

It was also a good preparation to anticipate our 6th Annual Vertebrate Pentathlon this Saturday.  It ought to be a unique day with students as cold temperatures and rain are forecasted.  Birds might be awesome but the reptiles will be basically non-existent.  All in all though, Mike Niles and I always get pumped up for this day and it will be a great day full of surprises and great memories…..

Enjoy the fall-out if you are in the zone…

Terry L. Miller

Kearney High School

Ecology/College Zoology/Genetics/Botany/Astronomy Teacher

816-628-4585

"It is the inherent dignity of every human person that we must strive to respect, to inspire, and to believe in....and what a great responsibility we have as teachers and role models!"