David is right in adding specifics to my general point. I have no idea what this has to do with Canadian Senators, on whom I have no opinion, but Lords have very intense duties and a great many of them fulfill their obligations, as David says, without pay except the small allowances. For wealthy lords or, no doubt, the remaining few hereditary lords, that may not be a difficulty, but for others it represents an admirable commitment to civic responsibility.
Nancy

>>> David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> 5/1/2013 1:56 PM >>>
Members of the House of Lords receive absolutely no pay or salary, merely a small allowance for each day they actually attend the House.
Most of them are now Lifelong Peers only, so are there because of their merit and eminence in life; collectively, they represent a treasure house of immense and diverse expertise and they do indeed provide a necessary rein on hastily drafted ill-considered and unworkable Government proposals. Many of them, like the Bishops are cross-bench Lords with no particular political party allegiances, so they tend to speak their minds rather than follow party lines.
In the field of English Lit., the novelist Melvyn Bragg is a Life Peer, as Lord Bragg of Wigton and he appears to enjoy the place immensely.