Members of the House of Lords receive absolutely no pay or salary, merely a
small allowance for each day they actually attend the House.

Most of them are now Lifelong Peers only, so are there because of their
merit and eminence in life; collectively, they represent a treasure house
of immense and diverse expertise and they do indeed provide a necessary
rein on hastily drafted ill-considered and unworkable Government proposals.
Many of them, like the Bishops are cross-bench Lords with no particular
political party allegiances, so they tend to speak their minds rather than
follow party lines.

In the field of English Lit., the novelist  Melvyn Bragg is a Life Peer, as
Lord Bragg of Wigton and he appears to enjoy the place immensely.