Call for Papers:

Postgraduate Conference in the German Department of the Université Paris III - Sorbonne Nouvelle on 29th November 2013 on the topic:

" Moving away, carrying on. German exile from the 19th century to 1945: a transnational approach"

Research progress in transnational studies is an opportunity to reconsider moments of German history, which were thought to have been thoroughly studied, through the prism of exile. At the same time, research on these particular periods, in which the nation state or even the nation became an irrelevant notion, will help to take stock on the validity of transnationalism as a new category of thinking.

To participate in these reflections, we welcome papers dealing with exile in and from the German speaking world in the periods previously mentioned, whatever the temporary or permanent destinations chosen by the exiles. We will consider papers from a large spectrum of disciplines: history (migration studies, art history, cultural history, political history) and sociology are obvious angles for the subject. However, we also welcome papers on translation studies, literature, music, visual arts and architecture, which may bring an original focus.

We welcome abstracts for 20 to 30 minute papers in German or French. Please send a summary (max. one page, preferably in PDF) along with a short CV by the 30th June 2013 at:

Speakers’ travel expenses will be partially covered.

More info here: http://exiltransnational2013.wordpress.com/english/