Prime shorebird conditions at Voelkerding Slough Wetland Preserve and surrounding environs this week.  On Monday there was a mixed flock of golden plovers and pectoral sandpipers in a field just west of the preserve.  On Wednesday Wilson's snipe and several soras were observed.  Today I had a flock of 116 lesser yellowlegs, two beautiful female Wilson's phalaropes, about a dozen American pipits, five semipalmated plovers, many wood ducks and blue-winged teal and vocalizing fish crows.  In the interior of the slough I saw two winter wrens, many swamp sparrows, eastern phoebes, gnatcatchers and ruby-crowned kinglets.  I also discovered that my beloved 40 year old pair of knee boots have developed a leak!
Good birding,
Don Hays
p.s. Voelkerding Slough Preserve is located one mile west of Dutzow, MO adjacent to the Katy Trail and Bluff Rd. in southeastern Warren county.