St. Louis Audubon is sponsoring a birding trip to Dresser Island on Saturday, April 13, beginning between 6:30- 7:00 am.  This is a US Army Corps of Engineers and MDC Bottomland Forest Island on the Mississippi River.  There are cut trails and levees around the perimeter and throughout the island that we will follow.  We hope to find some early migrants as well as resident land and water birds.  All birders are welcome, there is no fee, and you do not have to be a member of St. Louis Audubon.

Plan:  We will meet at the Dresser Island parking lot (directions below) between 6:30-7:00 am.  We will listen for owls and bird around the lot and bridge till 7 am.   We will then hike at birding speed for approximately 4 hours along the trails and levees, returning to the cars between 11-11:30.  If the birding is excellent, we can eat, rest, and then return to other areas of the island.   If the birding is slow, we can leave the island, eat at the Audubon Center at Riverlands, and bird that area.   You can, of course, leave whenever you wish during the day.  Cell phone service is spotting on the island.

What to bring:  They are predicting a cool morning, 36' at 7 am.  (If it is raining hard or severe weather is predicted, we will meet at the island and proceed to the Audubon Center.)  Bring a variety of layers for the morning hike.  Some areas could be wet, so comfortable waterproof hiking boots would be best.  You will need to carry your own water and snacks.  Bring your own lunch and beverage (which we will leave in the cars) if you want to stay for the afternoon.  There are no restroom facilities at the parking lot nor on the island.  Scopes are optional and the leaders will have one for all to use.

Directions:  Take Hwy 367 north towards Alton to Hwy 94.  Turn left on Hwy 94 and go west approximately 4.5 miles to the brown sign, Dresser Island, on the right.  Follow the gravel road which ends at the parking lot.

Questions?  Feel free to email us.

Trip leaders:  Pat Lueders & Sue Gustafson