St. Louis Audubon is sponsoring a birding trip to Dresser Island on
Saturday, April 13, beginning between 6:30- 7:00 am.  This is a US  Army Corps of
Engineers and MDC Bottomland Forest Island on the Mississippi  River.  There
are cut trails and levees around the perimeter and throughout  the island
that we will follow.  We hope to find some early migrants as  well as
resident land and water birds.  All birders are welcome, there is  no fee, and you
do not have to be a member of St. Louis Audubon.

Plan:  We will meet at the Dresser Island parking lot  (directions below)
between 6:30-7:00 am.  We will listen for owls and bird  around the lot and
bridge till 7 am.   We will then hike at birding  speed for approximately 4
hours along the trails and levees, returning to the  cars between 11-11:30.
If the birding is excellent, we can eat, rest, and  then return to other
areas of the island.   If the birding is slow, we  can leave the island, eat at
the Audubon Center at Riverlands, and bird that  area.   You can, of
course, leave whenever you wish during the  day.  Cell phone service is spotting
on the island.

What to bring:  They are predicting a cool morning,  36' at 7 am.  (If it
is raining hard or severe weather is predicted, we  will meet at the island
and proceed to the Audubon Center.)  Bring a variety of layers for the
morning hike.  Some areas could be  wet, so comfortable waterproof hiking boots
would be best.  You will need  to carry your own water and snacks.  Bring your
own lunch and beverage  (which we will leave in the cars) if you want to
stay for the afternoon.   There are no restroom facilities at the parking lot
nor on the island.   Scopes are optional and the leaders will have one for
all to use.

Directions:  Take Hwy 367 north towards Alton to Hwy 94.   Turn left on Hwy
94 and go west approximately 4.5 miles to the brown sign,  Dresser Island,
on the right.  Follow the gravel road which ends at  the parking lot.

Questions?  Feel free to email us.

Trip leaders:  Pat Lueders & Sue Gustafson