At least it’s the first hummer that I’ve seen this year.

The strong south winds have got some birds hunkered down here, but the winds blew in a welcome ruby-throat to our waiting feeder at 1 pm.

I’ve not yet seen any red buckeye blossoms. Besides hummingbird feeders these early arrivals may have to steal sap and insects from the plentiful yellow-bellied sapsucker wells.

Bruce Beck

Butler County