Friday, March 15, 2013

Columbia Bottom CA, St. Louis County  8:30 AM to 10:30 AM

    The Spotted Towhee showed up just before 10:30 AM at the Visitor's Center.
Lots of waterfowl but most were Northern Shovelers.  An Eastern Phoebe
near the Confluence parking lot was my first of the year.

Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary, St. Charles County  11:00 AM to 1:00 PM

    The three Horned Grebes were close to the road in Ellis Bay near Teal Pond.

    Eight Pectoral Sandpipers were also in Ellis Bay but further down the road close
to Heron Pond.

    Eight Blue-winged Teal were in the slough as you turn to go to the dam on
the east side of the road.

    The two White-winged Scoters were easy with a scope from across from Heron
Pond but in Ellis Bay.  I was pleased that this time they were in Missouri for
the year list.  Also in the same area was a female Greater Scaup which very
nicely showed her full white wing stripe for me.  The white face patch was very prominent
as well as the larger size compared to the more numerous Lesser Scaup.

    The Glaucous Gull in Ellis Bay across from Teal Pond on an exposed sand bar.
I missed it the first time through.  This bird really stood out from the more numerous
Herring Gulls due to it's bright white coloration.

    And last but not least I finally re-found the Western Grebe between the Visitor's Center
and Heron Pond in Ellis Bay.  It was among the more numerous Lesser Scaup.
Dick Palmer
340 America Street
Foristell, MO 63348-1163