 I also saw the flock of White-fronted Geese at Heron Pond.  The flock literally stretched from one side of the pond to the other.  It is by far the largest group of this species that I have ever seen.  There were rather more swans more than 20, but all Trumpeters when we went by.  The White-winged Scoters are still present and the molting Horned Grebe was near the Ellis Island parking lot.  The Spotted Towhee did not appear for us, but there was a Brown Thrasher in the bushes near the HQ at Columbia Bottom.  David Becher
Saint LouisDate: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 15:04:07 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: riverlands
To: [log in to unmask]

Between 800 and 1,000 Greater White-fronted Greese, a
dozen Snow Geese and two Ross's Geese at Heron Pond in
Riverlands.  A half dozen Trumpeter Swans, and Redheads, Northern Pintails,
Lesser Scaup, Canvasbacks, Northern Shovelers, Gadwall and Mallards
also.
At Columbia Bottoms, at least 10,000 Snow Geese took
flight about 11:30 a.m., circled several times and flew off to the east. Ten
thousand may be conservative. I want to say 50,000, but there were so many
birds swirling through the air, I couldn't begin to count them. From across
the fields, it looked like a tornado of white and dark confetti had
lifted off the ground. There were so many birds in the air it was hard to pick
out individuals.

Jack Cowan
South St. Louis