I use a big Tamrac Expedition 7X backpack that holds my camera body and 15-85mm lens attached, a 100-400mm lens, a 70-200mm lens, my binocs and all my chargers, extender, batteries, etc.  It is heavy but it will fit into the overhead compartments of the larger jets (737, 757, 319, MD80).  If I end up in a regional jet (CRJ, EMB-45, etc.) it will stuff under the seat, although you'll have compromised footspace.  If I don't need the big 70-200mm lens, I also have a Tamrac Expedition 4 that is shorter and a bit lighter.  The thickness of these backpacks makes both of them just able to stuff under a seat (avoid putting anything in the outer compartments that would increase the thickness), but that same thickness is the padding protection I want for my expensive toys.  Under NO circumstances will I allow the baggage gorillas to dropkick or handle my backpack.  Those guys could tear up an anvil in a sandpile.

Mike Davis
Neosho, MO