CFP: 2013 WiG Pedagogy Panel
Annual Conference of the Coalition of Women in German
October 24-27, 2013 at Shawnee on Delaware, PA

“Teaching the Political in a Polarized World” (New Deadline: March 15, 2013)

We teach feminist theory in a time of attacks on women’s rights; we teach
queer theory and sexuality studies at a time of marriage amendment ballots;
and we teach cultural sensitivity and specificity at a time of increased
xenophobia. We seek papers with stories, strategies, and theories about how
to navigate feminist teaching in this politically charged era. How does the
current political climate affect how and what we teach? How does it shape
the way we as feminists interact with our administrations? How does it
affect our syllabi?  How much room do our institutions give us for teaching
the political? If teaching is in itself a political act, what responsibility
do we have to our students to give them what we believe are correct or
appropriate political perspectives?

This panel invites papers that examine the chances and challenges of
teaching feminist politics or of employing feminist pedagogy in the
contemporary polarized context.  Exemplary syllabi are welcome.

Please send an abstract of 150-200 words and a short bio to BOTH organizers
by March 15, 2013: Britt Abel ([log in to unmask]) and Yvonne Franke