The wish to photograph the interesting blackbird coming to my back yard feeding station has made me think about replacing my stolen Canon SX 40.  I'll be replacing the stolen Swarovski scope too.  So, again, I am trying to decide what gear I need and can afford.   Specifically, first and foremost, I want to look at birds.  I greatly admire the work of the photographers among you, but I am not one.   However, sometimes I want to take a photo of a bird.  If you drive a thousand miles to see a goose, you'd like to have a picture of it.   I did get nice photos of the Northern Lapwings, but did not upload them from the camera before it was stolen. And if I had, they would have been in the computer which was stolen.

My Canon was a super zoom point and shoot.  Admittedly, I did not spend a lot of time learning to use it, but it was largely an exercise in frustration for me.  Single birds sitting still I could do, and I was amazed at how well the zoom worked.  But, for instance, the Barnacle Goose and the Pink Footed Goose were in huge flocks of Canada Geese and I simply could not locate with the camera what was relatively easy to find with the scope.  That experience makes me wonder about a digiscoping setup.  I don't want something which interferes with the "normal" use of my scope, but it has to be quick to put into place or the bird will be long gone.   Has anyone used the "swing out of the way" bracket for a point and shoot which Swarovski sells?  Swarovski has a new adapter for DSLR cameras, but it is very expensive, not to mention the cost of the camera.

If you have suggestions, please do share them with me privately and not to the list.  If others are interested, I'll share suggestions  individually, or summarize later to the list.

June Newman
Carrollton