    I enjoyed a male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker chipping on the
    ice at a bird bath.  It chipped away for nearly a minute.  I am
    pretty sure that it was drinking the ice chips.  This was this
    morning at 8:15 am.

    The water was just a day old.  I usually sweep them out at
    night before they freeze, but I forgot again last night.  The
    American robins often sweep them out for me.  Robins have
    been remarkably common this dry winter.

    A female YBSA has been around also.  I haven't observed
    the two if them at the same time, however. YBSA are rather
    tame.  I had stepped out the door before I noticed him, and
    he elected not to flush.

    Larry Herbert,  Joplin, Jasper County MO.  certhia AT att.net.

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/