From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Edge
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: Ks Senate Resolution 1711: Prairie Dog Ecosystems

With all due respect to our Kansas friends who are educated and aware of ecosystem dynamics, it is probably unrealistic to expect KS legislators to understand and/or support ferret population requirements.

In Kansas, landowners who do not wish to exterminate the prairie dogs on their own property are sued and people are brought in to kill them.

In Kansas, prairie dog "hunting" is a sport.  While birding at Cimarron National Grasslands (Morton Co.), I observed a "sportsman" sitting in a canvas chair, beer cooler beside him, rifle mounted on tripod, taking pot shots at every prairie dog that lifted its head.  This is a legal activity.  Prairie dog or ferret, they're both vermin, right?

In Kansas, Lesser Prairie Chickens are still hunted despite declining population.

I wrote a Kansas governor asking for limitations on crane hunting after the incident in which Whooping Cranes were "mistaken" for Sandhills.  Some changes were made (now being challenged, I hear).

Perhaps letters/emails from Missourians would be listened to by Kansas legislators, but there is an inherent risk of such communications having an effect opposite of the intent.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO