Thanks for sharing the observation, Matt.  Over the years I have seen Black-Crowned Night Herons in Forest Park often near the zoo but in other spots as well. I have seen them both flying over at night and hunting at night in the park, sometimes in freezing temperatures.  These winter sightings are be consistently inconsistent to a point that I strongly suspect that they are over-wintering in the park.  I hope this helps.

I hope to post in the not-too-distant future about the off-charts sightings of Great Blue Herons in Forest Park this fall and winter.

Cheers,
Mark
--
Mark H.X. Glenshaw