We had a hermit thrush scrounging for crumbs on the ground under the suet feeder this morning.  I put out raisins once it left, so perhaps it’ll return.  And there’s been a single snow goose on our little subdivision pond since 2/5/13.  I’ve been stuck at home with flu, but I did see a turkey vulture yesterday through the window.  Spouse reported ? swans at Lyerla Lake (Union County IL Refuge near Ware) yesterday, and another friend had brown pelicans there on 2/6/13.  Also, of course, ducks in many species and great plumage.  Cardinals, C. chickadees, titmice, and C. wrens are singing spring songs.

Please do remember to keep feeders active this time of year.  We’ve had species recently that we seldom saw earlier in winter.  Natural food supplies may be running low, especially after last year’s drought.  Feeding helps the birds and may draw in some birds you don’t usually get at feeders.

Ida Domazlicky
Cape Girardeau County