Dear Mobirders,

Once again, this Elsah bird has made me eat crow. I've been telling people not to expect the Elsah woodcock for at least a week. I went to the AT&T field tonight and heard the unmistakable peent and flight calls about 6:10 pm. I also heard a coyote (or a couple) howling only a couple hundred yards away. The woodcock got very quiet after that. But he's back in town and singing to his Valentine!

To my knowledge (limited to the past decade and a half), this is the earliest he's been in Elsah.

Thanks to all,

Tom

Dr. Thomas H. Fuller
Harry and Margaret Heimer Professor of