Greetings,

Meeting with a friend in Springfield today (Sat.) to play some racquetball, we decided to try for the Springfield (area) Superstars.

As we stood unsuccessfully waiting and watching for the Lesser Goldfinch, a freezing rain shower came from seemingly no where. We were accompanied by four other birders - 2 local and 2 from St. Louis. We left the residence to go eat and warm up before heading to Table Rock Lake SP.

We showed up to the state park to find the same friendly birders that were at the Lesser Goldfinch residence plus Greg. There were plenty of Common Loons to be seen, but just as with the Lesser Goldfinch, we dipped on the Pacific and Red-throated Loons as well anything super interesting.

With time ticking away toward our court reservation, Jeff and I headed out for the Greater Roadrunner toward Hercules Glades Wilderness. When we turned off 160 and onto Cross Timbers Road and about 60 yards up the road just beyond the horse coral, Jeff saw the first Greater Roadrunner between the road and fence row. It was running back and forth on both sides of the fence and ultimately ran out into the field. We saw more movement in the fence row - Roadrunner #2. We pulled up beside it, and as we studied each other, we caught movement farther up the road where there were two more Roadrunners . . . numbers 3 and 4!

What a way to end what we thought were going to be a day of dips on target birds! We drove on up to Hercules Glades Wilderness Area which was entirely too cool! Wishing we had more time to poke around and explore the area more thoroughly, we had to leave to keep our racquetball court appointment.

What a great end to a great day!

Good birding all!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.