I saw several starlings picking (or pecking!) at an old (totally meatless) bone my dog chews on in the yard.  Might they be trying to gather calcium?

--- On Sun, 2/3/13, Christian Hagenlocher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Christian Hagenlocher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Starlings as Scavengers
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 4:04 PM

Hello MoBirders,

Just wanted to share an interesting observation I made while driving today- I noticed on the side of MO-367 south a small flock of common starlings were eating a road killed mammal that was thawed on the side of the road. About 15-20 birds were perched on and around the open carcass and feeding vigorously in the look that I had at 55 mph. I've seen starlings mob and peck a songbird nearly to death, but have never seen them eat road kill. Adaptive and resourceful indeed.

Christian

Christian Hagenlocher
Principia Upper School
St. Louis, MO