I have noticed a potential pattern from listserve postings and personal observations about Bald Eagles. It seems many eagles are using lakes this year and that counts of eagles near locks and dams are low. Asian carp in the Mississippi and Missouri have decimated Gizzard Shad (primary food source of eagles) numbers in the large rivers, and I am curious whether or not these lakes have Asian Carp infestations or not. I would guess their fisheries are more intact and offer a better food source.

There are other variables, such as a mild winter that has kept lakes open, but I recall 2 winters ago at Clarksville when the Mississippi froze up pretty well eagles numbers were still quite low at the dam compared to historical figures.

I have also seen and heard of more eagles in terrestrial habitats this year than I am accustomed to. From this little corner of MO I see suggestions of a significant shift in Bald Eagle behavior. Curious about others thoughts...

Phil Wire
Troy, Lincoln Co.