Today I birded Columbia Bottom (but I did not go to the hunting area south of
the paved road), Riverlands, Creve Coeur Lake, and parts of Busch
Conservation Area. I had 39 species for the day but they were mostly usual
birds. I had no luck with the Spotted Towhee at Columbia Bottom and did not
see any Eurasian Tree Sparrows there. However I did see the dark-morph Red-
tailed Hawk there, and it was probably the same one I saw there last month. I
found a Mute Swan at Riverlands and it was hanging out with Trumpeter
Swans. There were more Bald Eagles at Riverlands than the last time I was
there. My new year bird was Bufflehead in Ellis Bay. I found Common
Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes, and Mallards in Creve Coeur Lake. The big
miss of the day was Mourning Dove ( I saw none today).

Good birding,
Jim Hickner