St. Louis Audubon Society had a very nice trip to Riverlands (a.m.) and
Columbia Bottom (p.m.) yesterday.  No rarities, including no redpoll at the
Audubon Center, but a really good list of 22 waterfowl species.  This
included the resident flock of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE (est. 100),
close to 300 SNOW GEESE migrating overhead, about 80 TRUMPETER SWANS (the
rest must be spending the night elsewhere), six TUNDRA SWANS (mostly
juveniles this time), and two MUTE SWANS, a juvenile and an adult.  The
DUCKS included every regular species except Redhead and Red-breasted
Merganser.  There seemed to be somewhat more RING-BILLED and HERRING GULLS
than a couple of weeks ago, but we were unable to pull out any of the
uncommon species.  A quick run over to the lock and dam on the IL side, and
some scouting along 143 heading back toward Alton, produced four WILSON'S
SNIPE,  a juvenile RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, and an unusual winter BROWN
THRASHER (thanks to Mike Thelen).

Note: From 7 to 10 a.m., Ellis Bay across from the gas station was full of
waterfowl, but these drifted off later on, and when we came back by after
lunch, the bay was essentially empty.  Anyone wishing to see a lot should
probably get there early (or, perhaps, late in the day).

A full list of our Riverlands morning (including the IL side) can be viewed
at  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12819669.  The crows
listed there (est. 450) were moving from IL over Riverlands to destinations
unknown, early in the morning before the field trip started.

Columbia Bottom in the afternoon produced a few additional species for the
day like Pileated Woodpecker, Northern Mockingbird, and Cooper's Hawk, but
no Spotted Towhee.  A large gull flock at the confluence held a bird that
looked in some respects like a first-cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull, in
other respects like a Herring Gull (which it probably was) -- an
interesting study, at any rate.

Bill Rowe
St. Louis