On 26/02/2013, at 9:19 PM, Peter Dillane wrote:

Hey Ken,

I don't see a lot that separates newborn humans from fetuses. I do know babies are powerful they get a hell of a lot organised for themselves.
I haven't read Eliot's intro to Nightwood if he is saying that attributing failure to the person or to society are the same argument   what is he offering in contradistinction - revelation or grace or similar?
Thank you for introducing Nightwood it is a book I have never finished after a number of starts. I will try again.

Pete

From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Armstrong
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 11:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The " abstract - isolated - human individual" was Can less be more?

On 2/25/2013 4:30 PM, Peter Dillane wrote:
Thanks Carrol will have a proper look later. In Paediatrics it is often said
"there is no such thing as a baby" which suggests at least one industry
recognises this.

    Pete,

    I'm not entirely unsure what "this" refers to (I'm tempted to say I'd be more impressed if pediatrics said there was no such thing as a foetus), but the exchange put me in mind of Eliot's intro to Nightwood. He says of Puritan society past that, "Failure was due to some weakness or perversity peculiar to the individual; but the decent man need have no nightmares. It is now rather more common to assume that all individual misery is the fault of 'society,' and is remediable by alterations from without. Fundamentally the two philosophies, however different they may appear in operation, are the same." I can't help wondering if in trying to sniff out what is abstract and what is more real in terms of individuals and society, this isn't the principle at work. For Eliot, at any rate, the proper tension between real and abstract is indicated in the observation that "so far as we attach ourselves to created objects and surrender our wills to temporal ends, [we] are eaten by the same worm."

Ken A

Pete