It was a very popular image at the end of the 19th century. The story Descent into the Maelstrom ( What's his name who did Moby Dick) provided McLuhan with an image of how to survive in the madness of the 20th century - a form of pattern recognition.
P. M.

"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I now this is a but off-line but after reading this of thought of the vortex imagined by Turner in so many of his paintings.

Eugene Schlanger

Sent from my iPhone