I think you might hear all those in Newfie speak, but only 'taking a shine' in Canuckish. I'll leave the Yanks to speak for theirselves.
P. M.

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Probably just survived slightly into presentday  English culture / idiom but never, because there wasn't the same,stable, cultural contnuum, migrated to American - eg, do Americans tend to refer to liking the cut of someone's jib or taking a shine to someone or pillorying someone?