On 2/19/2013 11:35 AM, Nancy Gish wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
I also have no idea where "lower standards" comes from. At least in my university--and others where I have taught--there is a pretty consistent correlation between publication and good teaching. Obviously that is not always true, but nothing is. This is not some absolute standard either way. And if getting past serious editing and reviewing is "lowering," I would have a difficult time knowing what would raise standards.

    Again, making publication one of but not the only path to advancement would very possibly raise standards. It would do that by making publication more proportionate to the cause of the subject under examination than to the need of the writer to get something into print.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
It is simplistic--and mistaken--to denigrate publishing as if it were not of value.

    Of course no one has done this. It's the overemphasis on publishing, not publishing itself, that's been questioned.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
What should one teach? Should one reiterate forever, from yellowed notes, the ideas of one's own professors?

   Should one pursue the minutiae that the proliferation of publications engendered by the publish or perish ethic has produced?

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
The expectation of publication is one of several serious ways to offer students the kind of knowledge and experience they want and should have. What we ask of them is to write well, to think critically, and to develop distinctive theses. And to deal with our editing and evaluations. That is what is required of us also. Nor is it only to improve teaching. Universities are centers of discovery and knowledge in every field.

    Noble stuff and no disagreement here. I'd only suggest that the quality of editing and evaluations that you have to undergo might also rise with fewer publications and less compulsion to get into print. Seems a simple enough concept.
.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
 What is the logic or evidence for this judgment?

    The one I mentioned or the one you wrote about?

    Ken A