Gary Johnson, Don Stout and I traveled to St Joseph to look for the Red
Crossbill and White-winged Crossbill at Mt Mora cemetery this morning. We
arrived shortly after 9 and found Brent Galliart, Mark McNeely and two
others who I didn't get their names looking for the birds, but they were
nowhere to be seen. After checking the area for a while we went to check
out the feeders at Brent's house. We arrived back at the cemetery at about
10:30 and Gary heard some bird activity in the Hemlock trees in the center
of the cemetery. After a few minutes we were able to spot a male Red
Crossbill. Mark shortly showed up with someone else and we were able to
direct them to the Red Crossbill. Mark told us about the White-winged
Crossbills he had observed in the Hemlock tree in the Southwest edge of the
cemetery. We went to the area and found at least 7 White-winged Crossbills
feeding on Hemlock cones on the tree and on the ground. We observed them at
close range for at least 10-15 minutes. Several Red Crossbills and Pine
Siskins also joined in the feeding on the ground. Thanks to Mark McNeely
for directing us to the location of the White-winged Crossbills. The
White-winged Crossbill was a life bird for me.

Good birding to all.

Paul

--
Paul Habiger