"Neither does the agent suffer / Nor the patient act."

CR

________________________________
 P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The phrase 'active agent' is very reminiscent of lines in MITC.
P. M.

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Some light, that, on Eliot's notion of 'impersonality' ???

CR

 Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

the paradox of experience

"And we have the right to say that the world is a construction. Not to say that it is my construction, for in that way 'I' am as much 'my' construction as the world is; but to use the word as best we can without implying any active agent: the world is a construction out of finite centres. Any particular datum can be certain only with regard to what is built upon it, not in itself: and every experience contains the principle of its own self-transcendence. Every experience is a paradox in that it means to be absolute, and yet is relative; in that it somehow always goes beyond itself and yet never escapes itself."-- TS Eliot, 'Knowledge and Experience in the Philosophy of F.H. Bradley', Chapter VII. Conclusion. p. 166.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jMD03TM0qJkC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

CR