Being introduced  before your entrance  then not actually having much to say keeps you ominous I think.  That wonderment Doris has that Sam is the Knave of Hearts is quite disturbing. After the earlier riffing she and Dusty do on Sam being a nice boy and so on.   Puts you on edge for a predator. Then that nice play on "Loot" which is his rank no - except he would be phoenetically a  "leftenant" in Britain so Loot gets a focus and  what will he loot ? But he does the Ringmaster introductions and then there is silence as he becomes part of the chorus. Maybe its as well we dont find out where the plot goes.

Pete
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: P
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:52 PM
  Subject: Re: Sweeney Agonistes: Eliot’s raw underbelly

  The flat accent could make him stand out, perhaps in an ominous way. Eliot was always sensitive to such details.
  P. M.

  Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  Sam’s interesting isn’t he. Veteran of a celebrated single minded force. I suppose the CEF would have been pin up boys with Ypres still in the mind. I think anyone who brings an aphoristic pair like K and K around to see some girls has more than one arrow in his quiver.

  Pete