From: Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: Sweeney Agonistes: Eliot’s raw underbelly
Sent: Mon, Jan 21, 2013 4:56:45 AM

Hey CR,

this is not at all the way I see Sweeney A.  I only have small observations to make but  to the extent that Lehmann sees it in a particular kind of place - a course (sic) pub - and that the bamboo tree business is supposed to be a referential nod to any worldly idyll viz Gauguin's world. Well I can't see it.  I know that the boys arrive and Doris calls down to them in the street but the notion that the play can be imagined in a setting is at odds with the irreal sense of space and time.   And the Bamboo tree is more a link to the  music hall than the actual South Seas. ( I think of Judy Garland in Meet me in St Louis doing the song by the way)

Cheers Pete.